National and International Media Attention
Carol Cruzan Morton, UC Davis
Ross West, University of Oregon
Edwin C. May, Cognitive Sciences Laboratory
28 November 1995
- Good Morning America (ABC). by Michael Guillen.
- ABC News Nightline. by Michael Guillen.
- Evening News: Sacramento TV KPWB-31, 10 pm
- Evening News: Sacramento TV KXTV-10, 5 & 11 pm
- Evening News: Sacramento TV KCRA-3, 6 & 11 pm
- Evening News: Sacramento TV KOVR-13, 10 pm
- UC-Davis News: 28 November 1995. 'Psychic Spying' Research
Produces Credible Evidence.
- Associated Press: U.S. Used Psychic Spies. by Richard Cole.
- Reuters: CIA study says ESP may work, but not for spying. by Jim Wolf.
29 November 1995
- Prime News (CNN)
- Evening News (CBS) Mark Katkov
- Larry King Live (CNN)
- Morning News: Sacramento TV KXTV-10 6 am
- Morning News: Sacramento TV KQCA-58
- ABC radio news, KGO-SF live, by Mary Ellen Geist.
- Atlanta Journal & Constitution: U.S. agencies used psychics. by Richard Cole/AP.
- Associated Press: U.S. Used Psychic Spies (update, reprise). by Richard
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio: 29 October 1995. Is ESP Actually a Sixth Sense?
- Chicago Tribune: CIA Aided by Psychics for 20 Years. by Richard Cole.
- Daily News: Our spooks admit employed ESPecialists. by Helen Kennedy.
- Davis Enterprise: Study: U.S. has used psychic spies in Libya, North Korea. by Richard Cole.
- Deutsche Presse-Agentur.
- Eugene Register-Guard: Professor at UO helps evaluate secret psychic spying research project. by Joe Rojas-Burke.
- New York Times Co: Information Bank Abstracts, Philadelphia Inquirer. by Richard Cole/AP.
- Oakland Tribune: Researchers: U.S. Hires psychics in Spying Operation. by Richard Cole.
- Philadelphia Inquirer. by Richard Cole.
- Richmond Times Dispatch: Official quest for `another reality.' by Bill McKelway.
- Roanoke Times & World News: CIA dials Psychic Connection. by Richard Cole/AP. Rocky Mountain News: CIA confirms U.S. has used psychics against Libya, North Korea. by Richard Cole/AP.
- Sacramento Bee: U.S. Didn't Foresee Faults in Psychic Spies Program. by Richard Cole.
- San Francisco Chronicle: Scientists at Odds Over CIA Psychic Experiments. by David Perlman.
- San Francisco Examiner: Bay Area Was Site of Psychic Spy Tests.
- Times Union (Albany, NY): `I see a tall, Libyan strongman...' by Richard Cole/AP.
- USA Today: CIA Says ESP May Work, But Not for Espionage Cases. by Richard Cole/AP.
- Washington Post: Pentagon Has Spent Millions On Tips From Trio of Psychics. by R. Jeffrey Smith.
30 November 1995
- All Things Considered (NPR): Evaluator questions U.S. psychic intelligence program. by Robert Siegel.
- Morning News (CNN): Researcher confirms remote viewing, even precognition. by Donna Kelley.
- Put it to the Test (ABC)
- Morning show: Sacramento TV KPWB-31
- Atlantic Journal and Constitution: Details emerge on military's use of psychics in "Stargate' program. by Washington Post.
- Baltimore Sun: Pentagon employed psychic spy unit. by Gilbert Lewthwaite & Tom Bowman.
- Calgary Herald: Physics saw their own demise. by The Guardian.
- Charleston Daily Mail: Pantagon quizzed 'psychics.' by Baltimore Sun.
- Daily Mirror: 'Psychic' psies are dead loss; cia's psychics project slashed.
- Daily Telegraph: Pentagon spent pouns 13m on psychic spies, says cia. By Hugh Davies in Washington DC.
- Evening Standard: CIA's spy psychics. By Jeremy Campbell.
- Glasgow (Scotland) Herald: Spooks see no future for Pentagon psychics. By Patrick Brogan.
- Guardian: End or aura for cia mystics. by Martin Walker, Washington bureau.
- Houston Chronicle: Agnecy spent 17 years testing `psychic powers.' by Baltimore Sun.
- International Herald Tribune: Just picture it: psychic warriors at work; petnagon stands by `remote views,' cia has doubts. by R. Jeffrey Smith/Washington Post.
- Ottowa Cititzen: The end of an aura: Pentagon pyschics saw downfall of operation stargate coming. by Martin Walker, the Guardian.
- Reuters: U.S. filed psychics as part of its arsenal. by Jim Wolf.
- San Francisco Chronicle: editorial the CIA's psychic friends.
- Scottish Daily Record and Sunday Mail: The crystal Ball spies.
- Tampa Tribune: Nostradamus foretold Bucs in playoffs! by Steve Otto.
- Washington Post: Details emerge on military's use of psychics in 'stargate'program.
- Washington Post: 'Psychic Arms Race' Had Several Funding Channels. by R. Jeffrey Smith, Curt Suplee.
- Washington Post: The Pentagon Peepers: A Psychic View.
- Washington Post: Pentagon paid $20 millino for 'Psychic' Aid. by R. Jeffrey Smith, Curt Suplee.
1 December 1995
- Inside Edition (ABC)
- Evening News (FOX)
- Evening News (CNN)
- ABC radio, national, Alan Colmes Show, 3:30 pm EDT
- Advocate (Baton Rouge): Someone should test U.S. intelligence IQs.
- Agence France Presse: U.S. intelligence discloses psychic spying, but does it work? by Jay Root.
- Charleston Gazette: CIA seers $20 million for psychics (editorial).
- Commercial Appeal (Memphis): Wasteful psychic spying (viewpoint).
- Houston Chronicle: Psychic program had some friend sin high places, sources claim. by R. Jeffrey Smith/Washington Post.
- Los Angeles Times: (opinion) A Psychic Power Outage.
- Phoenix Gazette: Agent Smart, where are you? (editorial).
- Richmond Times Dispatch: retired officer says he used psychic abilities in U.S. Army.
- Tampa Tribune: Intelligence and psychic wonders.
- USA Today: Spirit of Intelligence.
- UC-Davis Newspaper, Dateline: Standing by the Numbers.
- Washington Post: Psychic Program Kept Going by Positive Thinking.
- Washington Post: It's Shaped Like a Nut. Coincidence?
- Washington Post: A Handful of Senators Kept DIA Psychics at Work.
- Washington Post: On the Pentagon's astral plane; psychics leave lots up in the air (style section).
2 December 1995
- Science and Technology Week (CNN): CIA admits it employed psychic spies for many years. by Patrick Greenlaw.
- Evening News (CNN).
- Boston Herald: Spells and magic at the CIA.
- Charleston Daily Mail: Byrd says he did not ok psychics.
- Detroit News: A license to commune (editorial).
- Newsday: Stick to spying (viewpoint).
- Seattle Times: I see Mr. Ames stuffing secrets down his pants (editorial).
- Toronto Globe & Mail: Tests Support Psychic Phenomenon. By Stephen Strauss.
- Washington Post: Many Find `Remote Viewing' a far fetch from science. by Curt Suplee.
3 December 1995
- Arizona Republic (Phoenix): Kissinger's wife slain in `vision' seen by CIA psychic in `70s. by Newsday.
- Commercial Appeal (Memphis): DIA psychic program defies action to kill it...by R. Jeffrey Smith/Washington Post.
- Fresno Bee: CIA psychic's vision once threw a scare into Kissinger's security detail. by Knut Royce/Newsday.
- Fresno Bee: Is there a thread of believability there? by John Scalzi (life secion).
- Newsday: Use of Psychics Clouds CIA. by Knut Royce.
- Plain Dealer (Cleveland): Spooks Cultivate Vision Thing. by Tom Brazitis.
- South China Morning Post. Spies who rely on a crystal ball. by Simon Beck.
- The Sunday Times of India: Sorcery in the Pentagon.
- The Sunday Times, London: Day of the Pentagon.
- Virginian Pilot: Tortellini can't get a reading on this snub. by Bill Reed.
4 December 1995
- Outlook (BBC) heard on KQED-San Francisco
- News Tribune: ESP Project: Where's the amazing randi? (editorial) (U of O psych prof).
- Sacramento Bee: Psychic's vision nearly got Kissinger Killed.
- St. Petersburg Times: About those CIA psychics (editorial).
- Washington Post: Up Close and Personal with a remote viewer: Joe McMoneagle defends the secret project. by Linton Weeks.
5 December 1995
- Anchorage Daily News: Opinion.
- Boston Herald: Powers should turn to psychics. by Christopher Cox.
- Hartford Courant: And now, the star wars of the mind (editorial).
6 December 1995
- Houston Chronicle: $20 million psychic study gained littl. by Curt Suplee/Washington Post.
- Washington Times: ESP spooks in CIA's attic. by Ken Adelman.
7 December 1995
- Facts on File World News Digest: Government Used Psychics in Spying.
- Nature magazine: CIA Psychi Spies Under Scrutiny. by Sally Lehrman.
- Washington Post: Pursuing Phantoms, by Mary McGrory.
8 December 1995
- CFRB, Toronto, Canada, live with Paul & Carol Mott, 11 am PDT
- Dallas Morning News: Psychic warned of attack. By Knut Royce, Newsday.
- San Jose Mercury: Hay, Agent 000 has Another Hunch!
- Globe and Mail, Toronto: To Skeptics, Seeing Isn't Believing. by Stephen Strauss.
- Los Angeles Times: Response to A Psychic Power Outage.
9 December 1995
- Boulder Daily Camera: Spooky Disclosures About CIA Methods. by Christophe Brauchli.
- Science News: CIA Studies Fan Debate Over Psi Abilities.
10 December 1995
- Houston Chronicle: Psyche Out (editorial).
- New York Daily News: Psychic spooks predict dire results if CIA cuts them off. by Dave Saltonstall.
11 December 1995
- KPRL radio, Paso Robles, live with Ron Fisher. 12:30 pm CDT.
- Newsweek Magazine: Psychics and Spooks. by Gregory Vistica.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: I prefer to put all my cards on the table. by Sally Kalson.
- Scotsman: Para handy.
- Time Magazine: The Vision Thing. by Douglas Waller.
12 December 1995
- Atlanta Journal & Constitution: a forutne for your thoughts. by Tom Teepen (editorial).
13 December 1995
- KYMX, fm 96.1, Sacramento, live iwth Charlie Weiss 8:30 am.
- Washington Post: A Close Look at "Remote Viewing."
14 December 1995
- KCBS radio, am 740, San Francisco. live with Rebecca Corral, 1:20 pm, PDT.
17 December 1995
- Dallas Morning News: After 20 years and $20 million CIA to stop using psychics....by Dave Saltonstall,/New York Daily News.
18 December 1995
- Buffalo News: Psychics hired by uncle sam? by Andy Rooney/Tribune Meida Services.
- Business Week: Putting the ESP back into espionage. by Peter Coy.
- Dayton Daily News: Military kills psychic project. by Tom Teepen (opinion).
- Times Union (Albany, NY): Getting fired might be in their future. by Andy Rooney.
19 December 1995
- Star Tribune: $20 million for your psychic thoughts. by Tom Teepen/Cox News Service.
24 December 1995
- San Francisco Examiner: Tapping our Psychic Powers. by Julian Guthrie.
- Toronto Star: ESP is a statistical fact in search of a theory. by Jay Ingram.
27 December 1995
- Cinncinnati Enquirer: $20 Million for thoughts. by Tom Teepen (editorial).
31 December 1995
- BBC: Moscow University engineers develop device to prevent extrasensory influence.
8 January 1996
- Time: Psychic spies out in the cold (letters).
11 January 1996
- CBC radio, Vancouver. live with Mark Forsythe, 4:40 pm PDT.
- Discover Magazine: by Jeff Kluger.
- Fortune Magazine
- Japanese newspaper
- Readers Digest International 3-part video series, one on ESP
CSL is a part of the Laboratories for Fundamental Research (www.lfr.org).
For questions or comments about the web site, email the Webmaster.
All page layouts, text, graphics, photographs, and other inclusions in the CSL web site are Copyright © 1999-2001 by Cognitive Sciences Laboratories. All rights reserved. To request permissions, email CSL.